Friday, January 23, 2009

Day 106 - Chemo #6

Today I had my last scheduled chemotherapy treatment. My Oncologist said from the beginning that she hoped to be able to complete my chemotherapy with six treatments, but that it could go to eight if necessary. Since I have already committed to returning to school and work on February 16th, I'm crossing my fingers that this will be the end of chemo. I do expect to go through some radiation once I complete chemo, but I'll take radiation over chemo any day.

I also learned some very good news about my chances of survival and life expectancy. I had met with a substitute doctor six weeks ago who informed me that the chance of reoccurance with my type of cancer was 98%. It was not a matter of if, but when. My regular Oncologist just put that prognosis to rest today. She explained that she didn't know why the substitute doctor said that, but that she expected me to beat this occurance, and that I would have a 70% chance of never seeing it reoccur. HOLY COW that changes my outlook! I'm looking forward to being "normal" again, and it's nice to be able to think that I can still live to be 100 if I take care of myself.

(Added 1/25)
Here's a couple of links to articles that support the increased cure rate for follicular lymphoma:
> http://www.cancer.org/docroot/NWS/content/NWS_1_1x_Outlook_Brighter_for_Patients_With_Follicular_Lymphoma.asp
> http://www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials/results/follicular-lymphoma-and-rituximab0505

Thank you again for your prayers and support!

Greg

6 comments:

Matthew Scott said...

Greg, that's wonderful news. Thanks for keeping us updated. We're praying for your speedy and complete recovery.

Kara's Party Ideas said...

THAT IS SO GREAT!!! what good news. thanks for all the updates. you're always in our prayers. we love you guys!

Amy said...

Wow!! I'm so glad to hear that you have a 70% chance of staying cancer free!!! I cant even tell you how happy I am that things are going well for you. I love you all so much>

Michelle said...

Congrats Greg! Let's hear it for doctors who don't know what they're talking about. By the way, I gave you moose pictures and you didn't leave a comment. It's like you don't care.

Michelle said...

P.S. In case it's not clear, I meant the substitute doctor doesn't know what he's talking about. Just to make sure it's clear....

Alli said...

That is WONDERFUL news. I am so happy for you! Best of luck!
love,
the kingstons