Monday, October 20, 2008

Nice Sunday!

They say if don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. So I haven't posted anything for a week. Our whole family got the flu last Thursday. Leslie recovered quickly after a miserable night, but Kylan and I are just feeling the tail end of it. I finally feel like I'm mostly recovered from the cold that started before chemo, the flu that I got after chemo, and the side effects of chemo that are heavy the first week after chemo. I'm told my immune system is at it's lowest point six days after I start chemo. I'm now into my 10th day and won't need another chemo treatment until day 21. This gives me a little break time for some well-needed rest. I will be doing six total cycles once every 21 days and a new CT scan will done at the end of the 2nd cycle to check the progress.

In case anyone is wondering, I still have a full head of hair, but I've lost 40 lbs of water weight (mostly in my thighs and legs.) This may be the first time that I can ever remember having chicken legs.

Thank you again for your prayers and concern. Yesterday was a nice Sunday!

7 comments:

Amy said...

I'm glad to hear that you are all feeling better. I'm also glad that you get to have a little break here:)

Ruth said...

Well, Greg, if you are posting at 5:24am, I wonder if you are sleeping well? I hope you have a great day and rest of the month. Love, RUTH

Tony and Anne said...

That's super. My dad (who has non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) always feels bad when he has to hang out with all of the old guys hooked up to their chemo because he's doing so well with the Ritoxin. He usually eats candy bars and does puzzles while he's there. It sounds like the first is the worst when they're trying to get rid of the tumor - so hang in there! Leslie: my mom sends you guys her best.

Lots of love.

Alli said...

OH Bummer about the flu! That stinks! Glad to hear that everyone is feeling better. Greg, Glad to hear that you are doing pretty good with Chemo. Sadly, I hear, since I do hair, that you usually start loosing your hair after the second dose. SO here is hoping you don't!! :) Best of luck..

Susan said...

Hi Greg, this is your cube mate from work (Susan Burraston). I've been reading what you've posted on your blog and wanted to tell you to hang in there.
I have a sibling who is a cancer survivor of over 25 years. He had Stage 4 Hodgkins Disease. I only know what it's like from the outside looking in and want you to know that my prayers are with you and your family.
Keep a positive attitude, sounds like you have a loving supportive family and that is what is needed to kick this. Take care of yourself.
Susan

Travis and Heather said...

Hey Greg.. Iheard through the wonderful grapevine of the Phelps family, about your recent lot in life. I just wanted to say "hey" and that I am thinking of you guys. If you ever need and escape from reality, you are welcom to come to the beautiful town of blackfoot and stay with us. take care!

willis said...

chicken legs still won't win an "ab off" with old roommates Friel!!! It's no "leg off" and it has stiff competition!!
It was good to see the fam sunday and we are thinkin/prayin for you...stay positive and work in some situps when needed.